Archive for January, 2010

What is Carbon Monoxide and who it can affect?

By: SafetyLAB

Carbon Monoxide is an invisible, odorless gas.  It’s produced when fossil fuels (like oil, gas or coal) burn.  Because you cannot see, taste or smell it, carbon monoxide can harm and even kill you before you even know it’s there.  Carbon monoxide takes away what you need most to survive, oxygen.  Even if you inhale small amounts of carbon monoxide it can cause nausea, dizziness, fatigue, and headaches. 

Everyone is at risk to exposure to carbon monoxide because it is found in most homes.  Some common appliances that use fossil fuel are furnaces, clothes dryers, cook tops, ovens, water heaters and space heaters.  Some other causes for carbon monoxide exposure are fireplaces, wood burning stoves, gas heaters, and charcoal grills.  If any of these have leaks or are not vented properly they can cause leaks into your home that can harm you.

If you have any appliance or sources of heat that can cause carbon monoxide poisoning you should have at least one carbon monoxide alarm in your home, specifically near your sleeping areas.  You should also have your heating and venting checked by a professional.  They should clear any debris that may block the gasses from venting properly. 

If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds it is possible it isn’t a false alarm.  It is important to move everyone in your home outside into fresh air. You should call 911 and have an emergency worker check the carbon monoxide levels in your home. It is very important not to re-enter your home until it’s tested by an emergency professional. 

to buy a carbon monoxide alarm please visit us at www.firstalertstore.com!

Advertisements

Fires: what you should know

By: Safety LAB

A fire can happen to anyone anywhere.  The best way to build your defense against fire is to become knowledgeable.

Smoke of a fire is dark and can cause you to get lost and disoriented in your own home.  A fire is very quick-moving and being disoriented for even a few seconds can change the chases of your survival.  It is always good to have flashlights stashed in many locations around your home (remember to check the batteries often).  The majority of fires happen between the hours of 2-6 am and if you don’t have a smoke alarm you wake you the smoke can put you into an even deeper sleep.  Without an alarm you may not know there is even a fire in your home.  Fires have intense heat and can cause the temperature of your home to rise by hundreds of degrees in a very short amount of time.  The heat can actually stop your body from functioning all together. Please use this information to help you prepare for an emergency in your home, knowledge is your best defense.

For other fire safety tips and alarms to keep you and your home safe please visit us at www.firstalertstore.com